Jul 14, 2024  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition and Fees

Student Success Center, Room 5100

Email: ubo@jmu.edu
Phone: (540) 568-6505
Website: http://www.jmu.edu/ubo

Tuition and fee charges for the 2016-2017 sessions are available online at http://www.jmu.edu/ubo. The tuition and fees listed contribute to general maintenance and operation, instruction, and other university service costs, including recreational and health-service facility costs. The fees also support student activities such as the Student Government Association, University Program Board and student publications.

The amounts listed for tuition do not include certain additional tuition for some academic programs, academic fees, course fees, or the cost of books or supplies. The university reserves the right to adjust tuition and fee charges because of rising costs or other conditions upon approval of the JMU Board of Visitors.

For a full description of the tuition and fee rates, refer to the University Business Office website.

Billing and Registration

Registration for returning students is conducted in March for the summer semester, April for the fall semester and November for the spring semester. Students will be notified in April and May by email when their initial electronic billing statement Madison Money Manager (M3) is ready for the summer semester, early August for the fall semester and mid-December for the spring semester. Thereafter, all new charges, payments and adjustments will be posted electronically in the real-time section – “Account History” – of M3. Authorized users will only be emailed when students have a balance on their account.

New students who attend an orientation session will be notified of the amounts due through the electronic billing statement in early August.

Students are encouraged to review their financial account for amounts due after any registration or course adjustment activity or meal plan addition or change. Students may access their financial account by using the student information MyMadison link on the Registrar’s website or through the Web link provided in the billing email. Students are strongly encouraged to set their parents up as “Authorized Users” in the M3 system to assure the timely payment of their student account and to avoid unnecessary delays in communicating information. Student account balances are due in full by the first week of classes.

To keep university costs as low as possible, the Commonwealth of Virginia has instituted the following financial policies:

  • There is a $50 fee for each check returned due to non-sufficient funds or stop-payment.
  • There is a late fee applied to all delinquent accounts. If a student has a balance due that is not covered by financial aid, or the installment payment plan, by the payment due date (Friday of the first week of classes), a late payment fee will be applied to the account which cannot be waived. Financial aid must be accepted and the installment plan must be set up by the due date to avoid the late payment fee. The late payment fee is 3% of the balance due and is non-negotiable.
  • Student account balances are due in full by the first week of classes to avoid a late fee and/or hold.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment may be made by the following means:

  • Remitting payment by check or cash to the University Business Office, Student Success Center, Room 5100 by mail or in person.
  • Remitting an electronic check payment or credit card payment online through M3 or through the University Business Office website. This service is provided by an outside vendor.
  • Contracting with our third party vendor in M3 to set up the installment payment plan no later than the payment due date (Friday of the first week of classes) for an amount that covers any balance not included in a financial aid award or other anticipated payments.
  • Accepting financial aid, completing the Master Promissory Note (MPN) when applicable and the Loan Request Form (LRF) by the payment due date (Friday of the first week of classes) for an amount that covers the entire balance due.
  • Any combination of personal payments, installment payment plan and/or financial aid that covers the entire balance due.
  • Personal payments may be made by a combination of personal check, cash, money order, cashiers check, electronic check and credit cards.

Payments drawn on foreign banks must be converted to U.S. dollars prior to transmittal to the university or payment must be remitted through the M3 system Western Union link. The student’s account number (campus ID number) should be included on all payments to ensure its application to the proper account.

Debts owed to the university are governed by the following policies:

  • No credit for university work may be given to any student for a diploma, teacher’s license or transfer purposes until all debts to the university have been settled.
  • Until a student’s account is paid in full, he/she will be ineligible for readmission or registration for a future semester.
  • Upon recommendation of the director of the University Business Office and with the approval of the Assistant Vice President for Finance, students in debt to the university may be suspended from their classes or may be withdrawn.

Audit Fees and Internships

A student registering to audit a course or for an internship will pay the same tuition and fees as one who registers for credit.

Examination for Credit Fee

Arrangements for attempting credit by departmental examination may be made by paying a nonrefundable $25 fee to the University Business Office and presenting the receipt to the Office of the Registrar.

Late Fee

As of July 1, 2009 the Commonwealth of Virginia has passed legislation requiring late fees to be placed on past due balances owed to the university. The mandatory late fee is 3% of the balance due.

Returned Check Fee

A $50 per check fee is assessed for checks returned unpaid to the university. If a check is returned, the University Business Office staff will notify the student by email. If the student does not make appropriate alternative payment as specified, the student’s class registration will be canceled and the student may be withdrawn from the university. The university will also hold the student’s records, future registration, transcripts, teaching license and diploma until the check is redeemed. When a Returned Check Hold is placed on a student’s financial account, any future payment by personal check will require 15 business days to clear before a hold is released.

Service Fee

Electronic Student Account payments made by credit card through MyMadison or at UBO’s website will be assessed a service fee by the outside vendor. This fee is based on the total charges paid. The calculated amount is displayed separately, assessed at the time payment is made and cannot be refunded. There is no fee charged for electronic check payment.

Specialized Class Fees

Certain courses which use off-campus facilities have additional charges which will be determined at the time the course is offered. Certain courses may require additional fees.

Specialized Program Tuition

Some courses offered through the College of Business and the Department of Nursing require additional tuition charges.

Collection of Past Due Accounts

Financial Information and Disclosure Statement

Students are expected to access financial information through M3 in MyMadison. Failure to receive email notification of posted electronic billing statement is not a justification for granting immunity in financial matters. Failure to access available data through self-service access via MyMadison or to read and comply with university regulations will not exempt students from whatever financial penalties they may incur.

Course Cancellation

Failure to attend a course after registering is not justification for elimination of charges. A student must officially drop a course to qualify for a refund or release of charges by the drop/add deadline posted by the Office of the Registrar. Failure to pay will not release a student from the responsibility for these charges.

Outstanding Debts/Delinquent Accounts

Students with outstanding debts are denied any registration activity and access to an official transcript of their grades until all debts are paid in full. Student accounts are subject to the financial policies of James Madison University, as specified in the undergraduate catalog. Unless students resolve the debt, the university will advance the matter to the next step in the collection process.

Collection Activities

Once an account is 60 days past due, the delinquent balance is subject to transfer to a collection agency. At that point, repayment arrangements must be made directly with the collection agency, and the account holder is responsible for the additional fees associated with collection efforts. The fee associated with collection efforts are 33.33% of the outstanding balance, which is the standard and customary amount for the collection industry.

Collections in the Commonwealth of Virginia

The university pursues debt in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the Commonwealth of Virginia in the Virginia Debt Collection Act. Virginia state law requires that the university make every attempt to collect past due amounts owed to state agencies. If, after 60 days, full payment of a debt has not been received, the student account will be placed with a collection agency. Students are responsible for any collection fee incurred at a rate of 33.33% of the total due.

Students also risk tarnishing their credit rating and will be subject to further enforcement proceedings. Collection efforts are costly to the student. Avoid them by paying on time. Agencies charge the university a 33.33% fee that must be reimbursed by the student. Collection fees cannot be appealed. If a student finds that his/her account has been referred to a collection company, he/she should contact the company immediately to make payment arrangements.

Additionally, the account can be listed by the Credit Bureau as a bad debt, a delinquent account can be collected in full from income tax refunds, lottery winnings, or other refunds due from the state, and the account may be turned over to the Virginia Attorney General’s Office for litigation. Timely payment is strongly encouraged so that collection efforts can be avoided.

University Agents

Todd, Bremer and Lawson, Inc.
Post Office Box 36788
Rock Hill, SC 29732-0512
Phone: 1-800-849-6669
Fax: 1-803-328-5211

Williams and Fudge
Post Office Box 11590
Rock Hill, SC 29731-6266
Phone: 1-800-849-9791
Fax: 1-803-329-0797

Setoff Debt Collection Act

Under the provisions of this act, an individual’s Virginia income tax refund or lottery winnings will be subject to the university’s claim for any unpaid balance of tuition and fees. Any communication disputing an amount owed must be submitted in writing to the director of the University Business Office.

Eligibility for In-state Tuition

Eligibility for in-state tuition charges is based on the provisions of Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia in effect on the first day of classes for each term. Students who exceed the minimum number of credit hours required for graduation by 25 percent should refer to the UBO website for additional tuition charges. A link to the Code of Virginia guidelines can be found on the website of the Assistant Vice President for Finance and the University Business Office. This statute limits in-state tuition to those with Virginia domiciliary status. Domicile is defined as the “present, fixed home to which you return following temporary absences and at which you intend to stay indefinitely.” If there is any question of the right to classification as a domicile of Virginia, it is the student’s obligation, prior to the first day of classes for the semester, to raise the question with JMU administrative officials.

Restriction on In-state Tuition

In accordance with Virginia law, in-state students initially entering a Virginia public institution during or after the fall 2006 semester will be assessed a surcharge for any credit hours over 125% of their degree program requirements. Exceptions may apply when credit hours are required for an additional program.

Dependent Students

To qualify for in-state tuition, a dependent student or an un-emancipated minor shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that, for a period of at least one year prior to the date of the alleged entitlement, the person through whom he/she claims eligibility was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if another existed. A link to the Code of Virginia, as well as Residency Guidelines, can be found on the University Business Office website under the section “Residency Requirements.” Certain exceptions apply to Active Duty Military and veteran dependents.

Independent Students

The statute defines an independent student as one whose parents have surrendered the right to his/her care, custody and earnings; have ceased to support him/her and have not claimed him/her as a dependent on federal and state income tax returns for at least 12 months prior to the alleged eligibility. Certain exceptions apply to Active Duty Military and veteran students.

To qualify for in-state tuition, an independent student shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the alleged entitlement, he/she was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if such existed.

Domiciliary status shall not ordinarily be conferred by the performance of acts which are auxiliary to fulfilling educational objectives or are required or routinely performed by temporary residents of the commonwealth. Mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes shall not confer domiciliary status. A matriculating student who has entered an institution and is classified as an out-of-state student shall be required to rebut by clear and convincing evidence the presumption that he/she is in the commonwealth for the purpose of attending school and not as a bona fide domiciliary.

Initial determinations of eligibility are made by the Office of Admissions (incoming first year students, re-entries and transfers) and The Graduate School (graduate students) and Outreach and Engagement (for continuing education and special students). Decisions on returning degree-seeking students are made by the director of the University Business Office.

To establish eligibility after entering JMU as an out-of-state student, an applicant must complete the reclassification form posted on the University Business Office website. For information on special provisions of Section 23-7.4, contact the Office of Admissions, The Graduate School , Outreach and Engagement or the University Business Office.

Once a student receives an initial determination of eligibility, he/she may appeal for a review of the application by contacting the office which made the decision. If there is any question of the right to classification as a domicile of Virginia, it is the student’s obligation prior to or at the time of registration to raise the question with the administrative officials of James Madison University. Any party aggrieved by a final administrative decision shall have the right to petition within 30 days for a review by the Circuit Court of Rockingham County.

A change to in-state status may be made only when the completed application for reclassification form is received by the University Business Office prior to the first day of classes for that semester. Students are responsible for paying out-of-state tuition rates until in-state status has been approved.

Room and Board

Part-time students cannot purchase a housing contract without prior approval of the Office of Residence Life. Students residing in university housing are required to have a Meal Plan with their housing contract.

Commuter students may purchase one of several meal plans through Card Services in the Student Success Center and can have the charge posted to their student account. Commuter contracts purchased after the first week of classes is due immediately. A commuter contract must be purchased each semester.

If a student arrives late by 10 or fewer days, the boarding fee will not decrease. The only exception, however, is lateness because of hospital confinement. If a student is late by seven-days or longer due to hospital confinement, the university will review adjusting the board fee. Contact Card Services in the Student Success Center on the second floor at (540) 568-6446 for additional information.


Any overpayment of a student account can be either refunded or posted to a future semester as a payment. An overpayment created by a credit card payment must be refunded back to the credit card. All overpayments are refunded to the student except for Parent PLUS loans, which are refunded as specified by the parent in the PLUS application. All student refunds are processed through the university’s vendor, Higher One. Each student has the option of receiving his/her refund through direct deposit to a current bank account, using a Higher One bank account or by paper check mailed to his/her home address. Selection is made when the student logs into the Higher One website at www.MyOneMoney.com and uses the unique number received from Higher One through the mail. If a student has not received the code through the mail from Higher One, he/she needs to contact the University Business Office at (540) 568-6505, by email ubo@jmu.edu or by going to the UBO’s office in the Student Success Center during regular business hours and an access code will be generated and sent via JMU email.

Parents who are eligible to receive a refund on their federal Parent PLUS loan will receive a paper check at the home address of record.

Students who officially withdraw from the university by the deadline for fall semester or by the deadline for spring semester will be refunded all tuition and fees except the tuition and room deposit.

Withdrawing after the end of this period will not reduce tuition charges. Board fees will be prorated from the dining hall opening date. After the deadline dates, refunds will be for only a pro rata share of the board fee. Room refunds will be made in accordance with the Residence Life refund schedule as stated in the current Residential Contract.

Students who withdraw from the university due to physical or mental health reasons certified by an appropriate health care provider or for unavoidable emergency or extenuating circumstances approved by the Dean of Students will be refunded a pro rata share of tuition, fees and board. Refunds for withdrawal from the university are calculated from last date of attendance as approved by the Dean of Students. Room refunds will be made in accordance with the Residence Life refund schedule as stated in the current Residential Contract.

For further information on withdrawal from the university, see the section Withdrawal from the University.

Room and Tuition Deposits

New Students

For new students, a deposit of $250 is required to confirm their acceptance of the offer of admission. When a student pays the deposit, the money is applied to the student’s account. The deadline for this deposit is May 1. Refunds after the stated deadlines will be made only for personal illness certified by a physician or other extenuating circumstances approved by the director of Admissions.

Returning Students

For returning students who want to live in university residential facilities, a signed room and board contract must be submitted online to the Office of Residence Life at http://www.jmu.edu/orl. A contract fee will be billed through the student’s financial account. James Madison