David Shonk, Interim Director
Phone: (540) 568-6585
Location: Godwin Hall, Room 359
G. Hornsby, T. Kim
M. Baltazar, D. Fickes, J. Girard, T. Lind, B. Swartz
The Hart School of Hospitality Management at James Madison University prepares students to be world class business leaders in the fast-paced, ever-changing and diverse hospitality industry. Students engage in transformational education as part of an extensive curriculum focused on high quality, student-centered educational experiences by participating in practical, applied, and experiential learning opportunities.
- To expose students to a rigorous academic and experiential learning program, including national certifications, two internships and over 1,000 hours of professional work experience prior to graduation.
- To provide an intimate educational setting of small classes, team learning experiences and meaningful personal contacts with faculty and industry professionals.
- To promote the use and development of technology, critical thinking, innovation and communication skills in hospitality leadership.
- To ensure that all HM students have a meaningful choice of job opportunities upon graduation.
- To build a set of leadership skills while providing students exceptional financial acumen.
- To maintain a faculty of knowledgeable and respected industry professionals, dedicated to continuous improvement via internships, authorship, industry contacts and participation at national and international industry conferences.
Career Opportunities: Readiness for the 21st Century and Beyond
For almost 50 years, the hallmark of the hospitality program at JMU’s Hart School is its belief in creating a LEARN BY DOING environment that provides the foundational understanding of business principles and puts a services spin on it. This formula has led to thousands of sucessful leaders in the hospitality profession and related leadership positions globally.
Technology and artificial intelligence continue to evolve, and the Hart School Difference provides students with the necessary skills to compete and excel in this new world. The spirit of innovation, leadership, collaboration, ethical reasoning and communication are interwoven in all coursework.
Each Fall and Spring, over 50 employers come to campus for the Hart School Internship and Career Fair. These employers’ goal is simple, to hire as many JMU HM majors as possible for internships and full-time job employment. More details at https://www.jmu.edu/hartschool/caps/career-fairs/spring/index.shtml
Dukes helping Dukes is our philosophy of networking. Our alumni stay connected, want to hire fellow JMU Dukes, and together are making a. difference around the world.
Finally, there are no guarantees, but rest assured that by being a hospitality management major in the Hart School, students will be taught by exceptional educators who care about their success both in and out of the classroom. Upon graduation, students will have a set of TRANSFERABLE skills that readies them for the challenges of the 21st century and beyond. Students will not only be prepared to join the workforce but to be leaders in the changing world of hospitality leadership and related services business.
Co-curricular Activities and Organizations
- Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) is a student organization that provides both educational and social programs to the hospitality management major. This group plans and coordinates an annual trip to the PCMA Annual Convention.
- The National Society of Minorities in Hospitality (NSMH) is a student organization that explores the issues, challenges and opportunities for minorities in mega-industry. It participates in both regional and national conventions in association with industry leaders.
- The James Madison University Student Chapter of Club Managers Association of America (JMU CMAA) is instrumental in exposing students to the profession of club management and its many career opportunities.
- Eta Sigma Delta (ESD) is an honor society recognizing hospitality and tourism students for outstanding academic achievement, meritorious service and demonstrated professionalism.
- Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI) is a global organization of sales, marketing, and revenue management professionals representing all segments of the hospitality industry.