May 21, 2022
Coordinator: Greg Stewart
Phone: (540) 568-6816
The B.S. in Art with a major in studio art is designed for students who seek a breadth of knowledge in the visual arts and who have an interest or background in math, the natural sciences or the social sciences. The studio art faculty is made up of practicing artists who work closely with the students, and students also work closely with each other as they develop their studio practice. Visiting artists and scholars, workshops, field trips and frequent on-campus exhibitions of professional artwork enhance student engagement with contemporary art. Additionally, students have opportunities to exhibit and present their artwork, to assist in running on-campus galleries and studio art labs and to partake in other hands-on art experiences.
Students graduating with a major in studio art will:
- Display technical command of at least one medium and display fluency in a range of media
- Effectively analyze and apply two- and three-dimensional design principles and devices
- Develop an independent line of creative inquiry that embraces risk-taking and inventive solutions
- Knowledgeably critique and contextualize their artwork to cultivate expressive ideas and meaningful content
- Demonstrate awareness of contemporary art and art history within a global context
- General Education requirements 41 Credit Hours 1
- Quantitative requirement 3 Credit Hours 2
- Scientific Literacy requirement 3 Credit Hours 2
- University electives 28 Credit Hours
- Major requirements (listed below) 45 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 In addition to course work taken to fulfill General Education requirement.
The studio arts major requires 45 credit hours in art and art history courses.
3-D Studio Art courses (choose one of the following): 3 Credit Hours
- Studio art electives (300-400 level) 6 Credit Hours 1
- Art electives (any level) 9 credits 2
- General art electives (any level) 9 Credit Hours 3
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 Credit Hours 4
1 The six credits of studio art electives (300-400 level) must be taken in a single studio area. Graphic design and architectural design course credits cannot count as a concentration area. Studio art credits cannot be double-counted.
2 A minimum of nine credit hours of general art electives must consist of studio-based courses with an ART prefix (excluding ART 200 , ART 304 , ART 305 , ART 491 , ART 493 and ART 496 ).
3 The other nine credit hours of general art electives must consist of any courses with the prefix ARCD, ARED, ART, ARTH, GRPH and INDU.
4 Excludes ARTH 490 , ARTH 495 and ARTH 499 .
Recommended Schedule for Majors
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 Credit Hours
- General art electives (any level) 9 Credit Hours
- General elective 3 Credit Hours
- Quantitative requirement (in addition to General Education ) 3 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 12 Credit Hours
- Studio art electives (300-400 level) 6 Credit Hours
- General electives 9-12 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 12-15 Credit Hours