Nov 27, 2021
Degree and Major Requirements
The School of Communication Studies offers the Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees with a major in communication studies. Students must take at least 39 hours of work in communication studies beyond the General Education requirement.
All programs must include at least five elements:
- Twelve hours of required courses.
- Successful completion of the milestone, Core Assessment in Communication Studies, upon completion of the core requirements
- Fifteen hours of courses within distribution areas to meet the school depth requirement.
- Nine hours of free elective courses in communication studies at the 300 or 400 level and three hours at the 200, 300 or 400 level.
- Twelve hours of course work at the 300 level or above outside of the major program of study; or a second major or minor.
- General Education 41 Credit Hours 1
- Quantitative requirement 3 Credit Hours 2
- Scientific Literacy requirement 3-4 Credit Hours 2
- University electives 21-46 Credit Hours 3
- Major requirements (listed below) 39 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 In addition to course work taken to fulfill General Education requirement.
3 A minimum of 12 credit hours of university electives must be at the 300 level or above, or students must earn a second major or minor.
Depth Requirement: (15 hours required from the depth areas below)
Communication Skills (choose one): 3 Credit Hours
Communication Research (choose one): 3 Credit Hours
Communication Theory and Context (choose three): 9 Credit Hours
At least one theory and context course requirement must be at the 400-level.
Public Relations Studies Concentration Courses
Advanced Public Relations Skills: Choose one: 3 Credit Hours
Advanced Research: Choose one: 3 Credit Hours
Public Relations in Context: Choose one: 3 Credit Hours