Phone: (540) 568-6719
Dr. John Allemeier
Associate Director of the School of Music
Dr. Mary Jean Speare
Graduate Program Director and Admissions
Dr. William Dabback
S. Baker, S. Barber, A. Birdsong, S. Bolstad, P. Brady, C. Carrillo, B. Chandler, B. Cockburn, A. Connell, D. Cottrell, W. Dabback, G. Dobner, C. Donakowski, C. Dotas, J. Gibson, J. Haney, W. Huang, A. Lankford, D. Maddison, K. McMillan, L. Piitz, D. Pope, E. Ruple, M.J. Speare, K. Stees, P. Steinberg-Grikis, C. Stevens
P. Aponte, V. Curry, E. Guinivan, W. Hayes, S. Jankauskas, L. Maynard, J. Peterson, D. Rierson, D. Stringham, J. van der Vat-Chromy, i. Zook, J. Zyko
F. Beyers, C. Cangelosi, D. Phoenix-Neal, J. Rathgeber, S. Suggs, J. Walker
J. Anderson, K. Axtell, B. Hickox, B. Houff, L. Hoyt, B. Lambert, M. Lorcas, G. Newlin, D. Newman, J. Parker, S. Voigt
The School of Music mentors students in a community that supports and promotes music and musicians. Specifically, the school’s mission is to:
- Select undergraduate and graduate majors and minors who have demonstrated a commitment to developing their musical skills and talents.
- Motivate music enthusiasts to explore musical concepts by exposing them to and including them in music performance, composition and education.
- Foster a sense of community that encourages intellectual curiosity, creative endeavor, cultural diversity and respect for various perspectives.
- Encourage excellence from faculty members as educators, researchers, performers, clinicians and supporters so that they develop students into motivated, competent professionals and outstanding world citizens.
- Provide music majors and non-music majors with knowledge of music and develop appropriate skill levels and musicianship.
- Offer curricula that prepare students to be professionals in music performance, composition, education or industry.
- Broaden students’ understanding of music through innovative teaching, creative experiences and scholarly research.
- Provide a wide variety of cultural events for the JMU and Shenandoah Valley communities.
- Expose students to current technology employed in the music field, such as computers, music instruction software, electronic devices and advanced audio and visual equipment.
- Prepare D.M.A. students to teach, at the college level, not just in their principal areas, but also in many of the core curriculum classes, such as theory, music history and music appreciation.
The School of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
- Music, Composition, M.M.
- Music, Conducting, M.M.
- Music, Music Education, M.M.
- Music, Performance, M.M.
- Music, Performance, Optional Singing Health Emphasis, M.M.
- Musical Arts, Conducting, Pedagogy and Literature, D.M.A.
- Musical Arts, Performance, Pedagogy and Literature, D.M.A.