May 26, 2024  
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Professional & Continuing Education (PCE)

Phone: (540) 568-4253
Fax: (540) 568-4252

Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) is part of University Programs. Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) offers credit and non-credit programs as well as targeted one-time courses, certificate programs and complete degree programs at a distance. The mission of Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) is to provide access to anyone seeking opportunities for educational or personal growth.

Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) works with faculty, academic units, students and community organizations to design, market and deliver a wide array of courses. Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) also oversees the enrollment of non-degree seeking students. Non-degree seeking students are individuals who enroll in offered credit courses but do not seek a degree.

Admission of Veterans

Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) encourages veterans to apply for admission as full- or part-time students. For information, contact:

Veterans Coordinator  
James Madison University  
Office of the Registrar, MSC 3528  
Harrisonburg, VA 22807  
(540) 568-6569

JMU does not determine eligibility for federal veterans’ education benefits. Apply through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website will guide students through the process, and the VA will notify JMU of veterans’ eligibility. The Registrar’s Office processes the claims and other paperwork required so students receive payments on time.

Certificate Program Admission

Individuals who wish to pursue any of the graduate certificate programs through JMU should apply through Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) and be approved before registering for classes.

Individuals must complete the Certificate Program Application, and select the program to which they are applying. Virginia residents must also complete the “Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates.” A non-refundable $45 processing fee must accompany the application. Although certificate program students are considered nondegree seeking students, applicants for certificate programs need only complete the Certificate Program Application once for the semester in which they wish to begin the program. Applications for certificate programs are forwarded to the appropriate academic unit for review, and applicants should check with the academic unit for additional application materials that may be required. A list of available certificate programs can be found at

Non-degree Seeking Student Admission

The non-degree seeking student classification includes adult non-degree students and teacher licensure students. An individual seeking enrollment as a non-degree seeking student must complete the “Non-degree Seeking Student Application.” Virginia residents must also complete the “Application for Virginia In-state Tuition Rates.” A non-refundable $20 processing fee must accompany the application. Non-degree seeking students must submit the application and processing fee each semester they enroll in a course. At the 500 level and above, courses require approval by the appropriate academic unit head. Non-degree seeking students can complete the Non-Degree Seeking Student Application and the in-state form by going to and clicking “Apply.” Students should register online during the dates identified for non-degree seeking students following the instructions at and clicking “For Students” then “Registration Information Dates and Deadlines.” Walk-in registration and course adjustments are also permitted for non-degree seeking students. Non-degree seeking students can enroll for up to 11 credit hours per semester.

The courses taken in the non-degree seeking student category carry university credit, and they may be transferred into a graduate program, once admitted, at the discretion of the program. Taking courses as a non-degree seeking student does not constitute admission to a program or imply later applicability of these courses toward a degree. An individual who has been academically dismissed from JMU or another institution shall be required to wait for at least one calendar year for admission as a non-degree seeking student.

Non-credit Courses

JMU coordinates all non-credit instructional programs through Professional & Continuing Education (PCE). These programs are available for supplementing and updating knowledge, skills and abilities. Some non-credit courses and workshops award continuing education units (CEUs) as a uniform measure of professional development and to signify the student has completed the course or workshop. Information on CEUs is available online at Information on non-credit course offerings and registration is available at Additional information about Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) as well as other registration information can be accessed on the Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) website.