2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Health Professions, Department of
Dr. Kirk Armstrong, Department Head
Phone: (540) 568-7658
Location: Health and Behavioral Studies, Room 3095
H. Amato, P. Maxwell
J. Akers, D. Cockley, Ö. Ersin, J. Frye, S. Maiewski, C. Peterson, A. Temple, D. Torisky, J. Wenos
A. Dengo, K. Liskey, A. Russell Yun, W. Simmons, A. Skelly, J. Walsh, G. Weniger, X. You
K. Harrison, E. Richardson
The purpose of the Department of Health Professions is to contribute to the liberal arts education of all students and prepare students for professional careers in the health professions and/or for entry into professional programs.
The goals of the Department of Health Professions are to:
- Promote the health and well-being of the JMU community.
- Support the General Education program.
- Educate health professionals.
- Provide service to the community, the state, the region and the nation.
- Conduct, disseminate and publish research/scholarship in health professions.
- Athletic Trainer
- Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist
- Health Administrator
- Health Fitness Specialist
- Occupational Therapist (Graduate Program)
- Physician Assistant (Graduate Program)
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Madison Athletic Training Student Association
- Health Administration Student Association
- JMU Dietetic Association
- JMU Physician Assistant Student Society
- JMU Student Occupational Therapy Association
- Pre-Occupational Therapy Association
- Pre-Physical Therapy Society
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
Special Admission Requirements
Admission to JMU does not guarantee admission to all academic majors and minors. Special applications are required for admission to the clinical portions of the athletic training program, the dietetics program and the health services administration program.
The Department of Health Professions offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics
- Bachelor of Science in Health Services Administration
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies