The master’s degree (concentration) and certificate programs in educational leadership are designed for practicing school personnel who aspire to be educational leaders.
Certificate in Educational Leadership
Candidates who already have a master’s degree and seek to add the Virginia Endorsement as a school administrator to a teaching certificate, may apply through The Graduate School for the Educational Leadership certificate. Additionally, candidates must secure a passing score on the SLLA, Virginia’s administrative licensure examination, to gain the administrative licensure from the DOE.
To apply to the certificate program, students must:
- Submit a completed application and the application fee
- Be a licensed teacher in Virginia
- Have at least three years of preK-12 teaching experience
- Possess a master’s degree in an education-related field
- Submit official transcripts for all coursework in higher education
- Students who did not complete an M.Ed. degree as their master’s program must take EDUC 641 or equivalent as a prerequisite prior to admission
Refer to the JMU School of Professional & Continuing Education website for additional information.