Sep 22, 2021
Communications Studies Requirements
The School of Communication Studies offers the Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees with a major in communication studies. Students must take at least 39 hours of work in communication studies beyond the General Education requirement.
All programs must include at least five elements:
- Twelve hours of required courses.
- Successful completion of the milestone, Core Assessment in Communication Studies, upon completion of the core requirements
- Fifteen hours of courses within distribution areas to meet the school depth requirement.
- Nine hours of free elective courses in communication studies at the 300 or 400 level and three hours at the 200, 300 or 400 level.
- Twelve hours of course work at the 300 level or above outside of the major program of study; or a second major or minor.
- General Education 41 Credit Hours 1
- Foreign language classes (intermediate level required) 0-14 Credit Hours 2
- Philosophy course (in addition to General Education courses) 3 Credit Hours
- University electives 11-49 Credit Hours 3
- Major requirements (listed below) 39 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 The foreign language requirement may be satisfied by successful completion of the second semester of the intermediate level of the student's chosen language (typically 232) or by placing out of that language through the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures' placement test.
3 A minimum of 12 credit hours of university electives must be at the 300 level or above, or students must earn a second major or minor.
1 This course fulfills the College of Arts and Letters writing-intensive requirement for the major.
Depth Requirement: (15 hours required from the depth areas below)
Communication Skills (choose one): 3 Credit Hours
Communication Research (choose one): 3 Credit Hours
Communication Theory and Context (choose three): 9 Credit Hours
At least one theory and context course requirement must be at the 400-level.