Jun 17, 2021
Coordinator: Greg Stewart
Phone: (540) 568-6816
The B.A. in Art with a major in art studio is designed for students who seek a breadth of knowledge in the visual arts and who have an interest or background in the humanities and foreign language. The art studio faculty is made up of practicing artists who work closely with the students, and students also work closely with each other as they develop their studio practice. Visiting artists and scholars, workshops, field trips and frequent on-campus exhibitions of professional artwork enhance student engagement with contemporary art. Additionally, students have opportunities to exhibit and present their artwork, to assist in running on-campus galleries and art studio labs, and to partake in other hands-on art experiences.
Students graduating with a major in Art Studio will:
- Display technical command of at least one medium and display fluency in a range of media
- Effectively analyze and apply two- and three-dimensional design principles and devices
- Develop an independent line of creative inquiry that embraces risk-taking and inventive solutions
- Knowledgeably critique and contextualize their artwork to cultivate expressive ideas and meaningful content
- Demonstrate awareness of contemporary art and art history within a global context
- General Education 41 Credit Hours 1
- Foreign Language courses (intermediate level required) 0-14 Credit Hours 2
- Philosophy course (in addition to General Education courses) 3 Credit Hours
- University electives 17-31 Credit Hours
- Major requirements (listed below) 45 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 The foreign language requirement may be satisfied by successful completion of the second semester of the intermediate level of the student's chosen language (typically 232) or by placing out of that language through the Department of Foreign Language, Literature and Culture's placement test.
The studio art major requires a minimum of 45 credit hours in art and art history.
3-D Studio Art courses (choose one of the following):
- Studio art courses (300-400 level) 6 Credit Hours 1
- Art electives (any level) 9 credits 2
- General art electives (any level) 9 Credit Hours 3
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 Credit Hours 4
1 The six credits of studio art electives (300-400 level) must be taken in a single studio area. Graphic design and architectural design course credits cannot count as a concentration area. Studio art credits cannot be double-counted.
2 A minimum of nine credit hours of general art electives must consist of studio-based courses with an ART prefix (excluding ART 200 , ART 304 ,ART 305 , ART 491 , ART 493 and ART 496 ).
3. The other nine credit hours of general art electives must consist of any courses with the prefix ARCD, ARED, ART, ARTH, GRPH and INDU.
4. Excludes ARTH 490 , ARTH 495 and ARTH 499 .
Recommended Schedule for Majors
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 Credit Hours
- General art electives (any level) 9 Credit Hours
- General electives 6 Credit Hours
- B.A. philosophy requirement 3 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 9 Credit Hours
- Studio art courses (300-400 level) 6 Credit Hours
- Art or general electives 24 Credit Hours