Chris Roeder, Coordinator
Phone: (540) 568-3143 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The entrepreneurship minor is designed to introduce students from any discipline to the knowledge, skills and mindset necessary for successful new venture creation. The minor is open to students in any major except management, which offers a track in innovation and entrepreneurship.
Students who successfully complete the entrepreneurship minor will develop the knowledge base and skills needed for new venture creation and management. They will be able to:
- Understand entrepreneurship as a possible career path, its role in economic growth and opportunity, and its associated social benefits.
- Recognize/identify entrepreneurial opportunities that fit the individual student. Includes self-analysis in the context of possible entrepreneurial activities and demonstration of the ability to identify and analyze the attractiveness of potential markets.
- Develop a business model and create a business plan. This includes completing a clear and concise written plan that serves as a blueprint for creation of the proposed venture.
- Apply relevant financial and business principles to assess the need for start-up capital, conduct break even analysis and identify cash flow needed for future growth.
- Identify and evaluate various sources of funding.
- Articulate an effective pitch to gain support from investors, suppliers, customers or potential employees.
- Interact and collaborate with various stakeholders to develop and evaluate ideas, and grow those ideas to fruition.
To be considered for admission into the entrepreneurship minor students will need to submit an application packet by April 1 to the entrepreneurship minor coordinator in the Management Department. The application includes:
- Statement of interest
- One-minute “elevator pitch” video
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of good academic standing
JMU students submit applications for admission into the minor during the spring of their sophomore year. Enrollment in the initial course requirement occurs during the fall of their junior year. Transfer students who have four semesters of course work remaining after any given spring semester are eligible to apply.
Transfer students admitted to JMU for fall semester who are interested in applying for the ENTP minor will have two weeks after their notification of admission to submit their application to the minor coordinator. Selected students will be notified of their acceptance to the minor cohort two weeks prior to the start of fall semester classes.
Admitted students will begin as a cohort the following fall semester. Admitted students must be able to take the four required minor courses as a cohort, on a predetermined one per semester schedule for four consecutive semesters starting with the first semester of their junior year.
Students may request permission to count two three-credit electives from their major as their ENTP electives. These courses must be related to innovation and/or entrepreneurship, and must be approved by the minor coordinator.
All electives must be approved by the adviser, and students should check with an adviser for the most updated list of suggested electives, as the list can change.