Dr. Janet Wigglesworth, Department Head
Phone: (540) 568-6145
Location: Godwin Hall, Room 213
S. Nye, M. Saunders, J. Williams, C. Womack
E. Edwards, T. Hargens, N. Luden, T. Moran, S. Carson Sackett
C. McKay, G. Young
R. Lifka, P. McMahan, J. Walters
The Department of Kinesiology is dedicated to the development of future leaders in professions that maximize the potential of individuals and society through physical activity. Programs include exercise science and teacher education in physical education and health.
The department is committed to providing:
- Outstanding undergraduate programs based on the criteria of relevant professional associations which will enable graduates success in their professional endeavors.
- Programs that build upon the strong liberal studies background provided through General Education.
- Opportunities that challenge students to think critically.
- Use of technological advances.
- An appreciation of the global community.
- Quality graduate programs that complement the undergraduate programs and provide qualified students with an opportunity for advanced study in the kinesiology discipline.
- Contributions to the university’s General Education curriculum through programs designed to promote lifelong fitness and wellness.
- Service to JMU, the professions and local community through our unique knowledge and expertise.
- Research and development projects that push back the boundaries of knowledge and promote effective practice in the kinesiology discipline.
Career Opportunities and Marketable Skills
- Athletic coach
- Exercise specialist
- Fitness facility manager
- Physical and health education
- Pre-professional health programs (pre-physical therapy, pre-medicine, pre-physician’s assistant, pre-occupational therapy)