Dr. Andrew A. Peachey, Acting Department Head
Phone: (540) 568-6510
Location: Health and Behavioral Studies, Room 3091
T. Enyeart Smith, R. Koslow, K. Lewis, M. Wessel
S. Baller, A. Burnett, K. Ott Walter, A. Peachey, D. Sutton
S. Blackstone, E. Collazo-Vargas, A.Coleman, S.Grossman, D. Henry, A. Johnson, P. Memiah, L. Merrell, T. Thomas.
T. Howley, L. Lemons, R. Prodoehl, M. Stickney
Through education, scholarship and service we enhance the health and well-being of individuals and populations.
The goals of the Department of Health Sciences are to:
- Educate future health professionals through engaged learning.
- Provide professional service to the department, college, university and global community.
- Conduct, disseminate and publish research/scholarship in health sciences.
- Contribute to the health and well-being of the JMU community.
- Support the General Education program at JMU.
- Eta Sigma Gamma (Health Sciences Honor Society)
- Pre-Occupational Therapy Association
- Pre-Physical Therapy Society
- Pre-Physician Assistant Club
Special Admission Requirements
Admission to JMU does not guarantee admission to all academic majors and minors.
Deadline for Change or Declaration of Majors
Deadlines for change or declaration of major forms are:
||September 15 of the previous year
Forms received in the health sciences office after the deadline will be processed the following semester. Students changing their major to health sciences after February 15 of the sophomore year should expect an additional semester(s) to complete the program. The number of additional semesters required to complete the program will depend on the timing of the change to health sciences and the number of summer courses completed.
Graduating majors must participate in assessment activities. Assessment information helps the faculty modify the curriculum to meet student needs.
The Department of Health Sciences offers the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences.
Credit by Examination
The Department of Health Sciences offers credit by examination for a limited number of the courses taught in the department. Students who want permission to take an examination must apply to the department head during the regular registration period. Students will receive details regarding approval and examination dates after they apply. Examinations will be given only in courses offered during the semester.