The mission of the Department of Physics and Astronomy is the preparation of scientifically enlightened citizens. Science literacy is promoted by the production of teachers, researchers, technical professionals and knowledgeable individuals through the integration of classroom and experiential learning.
We strive to be a leading undergraduate physics and astronomy department by building a research-active, student-centered community.
Excellence, integrity and mutual respect are the core values that define our department. The vigorous pursuit of research with undergraduates is central to extending our understanding of nature and the engagement of students directly in the practice of physics and astronomy.
Service to the university, the public and the profession is essential for continued vitality of science education and research.
To help students:
- Develop competence in using computers for computation, data acquisition, numerical control, device development, and information acquisition and processing.
- Appreciate the role of science in society and the historical development of physics in the ongoing quest to discover the structure of the universe.
- Gain an understanding of the basic principles and the experimental basis of the various fields of physics and the logical relationships of the various fields.
- Become capable problem solvers using techniques that require mathematical skills, conceptual and mathematical models, order-of-magnitude estimates, and an understanding of limiting cases.
- Develop competence in designing, constructing, and using laboratory instruments, and to draw valid conclusions from experimental data.
- Improve written and oral technical communication skills.
Co-Curricular and Organizations
- Astronomy Minor
- Physics Minor
- Physics Minor for Engineers
- Physics, Applied Physics Concentration, Applied Nuclear Physics Track, B.S.
- Physics, Applied Physics Concentration, Computational Physics Track, B.S.
- Physics, Applied Physics Concentration, Electronics and Implementation Track, B.S.
- Physics, Fundamental Studies Concentration, B.S.
- Physics, Individual Option Concentration, B.A.
- Physics, Individual Option Concentration, B.S.
- Physics, Multidisciplinary Concentration: Biophysics Track, B.S.
- Physics, Multidisciplinary Concentration: Business Track, B.S.
- Physics, Multidisciplinary Concentration: Geophysics Track, B.S.
- Physics, Multidisciplinary Concentration: Secondary Education Track, B.S.
- Physics, Multidisciplinary Concentration: Technical and Scientific Communication (TSC) Track, B.S.
- Physics, Physics and Engineering Combined Program Concentration, B.S.
- Physics, Professional Concentration, Pre-Medical Preparation Track, B.A.
- Physics, Professional Concentration, Teaching Licensure Preparation Track, B.A.