Dr. Linette M. Watkins, Department Head
Phone: (540) 568-6246
Location: Physics and Chemistry Building, Room 1186
D. Amenta, K. Caran, T. DeVore,
D. Downey, R. Foust, J. Gilje,
G. MacDonald, B. Reisner, L. Watkins
C. Hughey, S. Lewis, D. Mohler,
A. Baber, C. Berndsen, B. Boardman,
O. Kokhan, P. Raston, I. Sumner,
D. Blumling, K. Funck, Q. Liu,
D. Warnaar, D. Wilson
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers the B.S. degree for a major in chemistry, with concentrations that meet the American Chemical Society Accredited Programs requirements for programs in biochemistry, materials chemistry and in chemistry/chemical education. In addition, the department offers a B.S. degree in biophysical chemistry. It also offers minors in chemistry, biochemistry and molecular biology, and materials science. The programs are designed to provide the theoretical and practical instruction in chemistry and related areas to prepare students for careers in chemistry, biochemistry, medicine, dentistry, paramedical areas, forensic sciences, chemical engineering and other technology based areas. The department also recognizes its responsibility to provide courses for non-chemistry majors who need a basic understanding of the principles of chemistry either for their chosen major or their general education.
- Graduate school in chemistry, biochemistry or related areas (ACS Certified Degrees preferred)
- Professional employment as a chemist or biochemist (ACS Certified Degrees preferred)
- Professional school (medical, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, business and law)
- Chemical engineering
- Environmental science
- Forensic science
- Industrial hygiene
- Pharmaceutical chemistry
- Production supervision
- Quality control
- Research assistant
- Scientific writing
- Some forms of development work
- Technical library science
Co-curricular Activities and Organizations
- American Chemical Society Student Affiliate Chapter
- Alpha Chi Sigma Professional Fraternity (Coed)
- Iota Sigma Pi
- Biophysical Chemistry, B.S.
- Chemistry Minor
- Chemistry, American Chemical Society Certified Curriculum in Biochemistry Concentration, B.S.
- Chemistry, American Chemical Society Certified Curriculum in Chemical Education Concentration, B.S.
- Chemistry, American Chemical Society Certified Curriculum in Chemistry Concentration, B.S.
- Chemistry, American Chemical Society Certified Curriculum in Materials Chemistry Concentration, B.S.
- Chemistry, Chemistry/Business Program Concentration, B.S.
- Chemistry, General Program in Chemistry Concentration, B.S.