Sep 22, 2019
2017-18 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Philosophy and Religion, Interdisciplinary Religion Concentration, B.A.
This option is designed for students who want to concentrate in religion but also integrate their work in religion with work in another, complementary disciplinary area. A student electing this option will fulfill the requirements for the regular concentration in religion, with one change: nine credits from one or more disciplinary areas outside of religion (must be chosen in consultation with the adviser) will substitute for six of the religion electives credits required for the concentration in religion. Accordingly, the total required elective credits for the interdisciplinary concentration will be 18 (nine religion elective credits, nine interdisciplinary elective credits), giving a total of 36 credit hours to complete the program.
Degree and Major Requirements
- General Education 41 Credit Hours 1
- Foreign Language classes (intermediate level required) 0-14 Credit Hours 2
- Philosophy course (in addition to General Education courses) 3 Credit Hours
- University electives 26-43 Crediit Hours
- Major requirements (listed below) 33-36 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 The foreign language requirement may be satisfied by successful completion of the second semester of the intermediate level of the student's chosen language (typically 232) or by placing out of that language through the Department of Foreign Language's placement test.
Concentration Core Courses
Capstone (choose one of the following courses): 3 Credit Hours
Track Requirements: 12 Credit Hours
Choose 4 courses from one track. This will be your home track.
Breadth Requirements: 6 Credit Hours
Choose two additional courses outside of your home track. These two courses cannot be from the same track and neither can they be cross-listed with a course in your home track.
Interdisciplinary Requirements: 9 Credit Hours
Choose three courses from other disciplines (in consultation with your adviser).
Track 1: Eastern Traditions
Track 2: Western Traditions
Track 3: Biblical Studies and Theology
Track 4: Religion and Society
Recommended Schedule for Majors
The following outline is a sample four-year program. The actual courses and sequence a student takes may vary.
- Introductory courses in major 6 Credit Hours
- B.A. or B.S. Requirements 6-8 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 6-18 Credit Hours 1
- Required courses in major 6 Credit Hours
- B.A. or B.S. Requirements or Electives 6 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 18 Credit Hours
- Requirements and electives in philosophy or religion 12 Credit Hours
- Electives (may be outside of major) 12 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 6 Credit Hours
1 Students should adjust General Education and foreign language load to achieve 30 hours total.