Jun 19, 2018
Coordinator: Corinne Diop
Phone: (540) 568-6485
The Bachelor of Science degree in studio art is designed for students who seek a breadth of knowledge in the visual arts and who have a preferred interest or stronger background preparation in math, the natural sciences or the social sciences. The major of studio art allows students to study in one of two areas: studio art or studio art with an emphasis in industrial design. The studio art major allows students to:
- Develop students' visual vocabulary.
- Provide a range of elective options that complement the major in studio art.
- General Education requirements 41 Credit Hours 1
- Quantitative requirement 3 Credit Hours 2
- Scientific Literacy requirement 3 Credit Hours 2
- University electives 28 Credit Hours
- Major requirements (listed below) 45 Credit Hours 3
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 In addition to course work taken to fulfill General Education: The Human Community requirement.
3 A minimum of nine credit hours of general art electives must consist of studio- based courses with an ART prefix (excluding ART 200 , ART 304 , ART 305 , ART 491 , ART 493 and ART 496 ). The other six credit hours of general art electives must consist of any courses with the prefix ARCD, ARED, ART, ARTH, GRPH and INDU.
The studio arts major requires 45 credit hours in art and art history courses.
3-D Studio Art courses (choose one of the following): 3 Credit Hours
1 The six credits of studio art electives (300-400 level) must be taken in a single studio area. Graphic design, architectural design and industrial design course credits cannot count as a concentration area. Studio art credits cannot be double-counted.
2 Must include a minimum of nine credit hours in studio art. Up to six hours in art history may be included.
3 Excludes ARTH 490 , ARTH 495 and ARTH 499 .
Recommended Schedule for Majors
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 Credit Hours
- General art electives (any level) 9 Credit Hours
- General elective 3 Credit Hours
- Quantitative requirement (in addition to General Education) 3 Credit Hours
- General Education: The Human Community courses 12 Credit Hours