Aug 19, 2018
Coordinator: Corinne Diop
Phone: (540) 568-6485
The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree is intended for students interested in pursuing a program of art study that promotes lifelong learning with an emphasis on the humanities. The B.A. in studio art is designed for students who seek a breadth of knowledge in the visual arts and who have an interest or background in the humanities. Students majoring in studio art will:
- Grasp how artworks are created.
- Understand how the visual arts relate to the culture that influences them.
- Gain an overview of the sequences of style and meaning evident in the history of art.
- Improve their ability to articulate their ideas and knowledge about art to others.
- Learn about career opportunities in art and closely related fields.
- General Education 141 Credit Hours
- Foreign Language courses (intermediate level required) 20-14 Credit Hours
- Philosophy course (in addition to General Education courses) 3 Credit Hours
- University electives 17-31 Credit Hours
- Major requirements (listed below) 45 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 The foreign language requirement may be satisfied by successful completion of the second semester of the intermediate level of the student's chosen language (typically 232) or by placing out of that language through the Department of Foreign Language, Literature and Culture's placement test.
The studio art major requires a minimum of 45 credit hours in art and art history.
3-D Studio Art courses (choose one of the following):
- Studio art courses (300-400 level) 1 6 Credit Hours
- General art electives (any level) 2 15 Credit Hours
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 3 Credit Hours
1 The six credits of studio art electives (300-400 level) must be taken in a single studio area. Graphic design and architectural design course credits cannot count as a concentration area. Studio art credits cannot be double-counted.
2 A minimum of nine credit hours of general art electives must consist of studio-based courses with an ART prefix (excluding ART 200 , ART 304 , ART 305 , ART 491 , ART 493 and ART 496 ). The other six credit hours of general art electives must consist of any courses with the prefix ARCD, ARED, ART, ARTH, GRPH and INDU.
3 Excludes ARTH 490 , ARTH 495 and ARTH 499 .
Recommended Schedule for Majors
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3 Credit Hours
- General art electives (any level) 9 Credit Hours
- General electives 6 Credit Hours
- B.A. philosophy requirement 3 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 9 Credit Hours
- Studio art courses (300-400 level) 6 Credit Hours
- Art or general electives 24 Credit Hours