2017-18 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Studio Art, Integrated 3D Concentration, B.F.A.
Greg Stewart, Coordinator
Phone: (540) 568-6816
Integrated 3D students explore the technical, formal, conceptual and cultural overlaps between sculpture, ceramics, fiber and metals.
Integrated 3D students complete a beginning and intermediate course in each 3D medium. This develops a strong, broad skill base, 3D visualization and thinking skills, habits of investigation with a 3D perspective, and knowledge of contemporary practices in 3D media.
Students also complete a six to 12-credit concentration in their chosen medium and two capstone courses to further develop and refine specialized technical, analytical and creative skills as well as help students to prepare for professional practice.
Upon completion of the degree, integrated 3D students will be well prepared to pursue professional production and exhibition of their own art or more in-depth study at the graduate level.
|General Education courses1
|Major requirements (listed below)
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
The integrated 3D emphasis requires 78 credit hours in art, art history and art related courses.
Foundation Courses: 18 Credit Hours
2D Studio Art courses (choose two): 6 Credit Hours
3D Studio Art courses: 24 Credit Hours
- ART 220. Introductory Ceramics: Potter's Wheel (0,9) 3.00
- ART 222. Introductory Ceramics: Handbuilding (0,9) 3.00
- ART 230. Introduction to Fiber Processes (0,9) 3.00
- ART 240. Metal & Jewelry (0,9) 3.00
- ART 280. Sculpture (0,9) 3.00
- ART 320. Intermediate Ceramics: Molds & Casting (0,9) 3.00
- ART 322. Intermediate Ceramics: Surface Development (0,9) 3.00
- ART 330. Intermediate Fiber Processes (0,9) 3.00
- ART 340. Intermediate Metal & Jewelry (0,9) 3.00
- ART 380. Intermediate Sculpture (0,9) 3.00
Emphasis (choose one of the following media): 6-12 Credit Hours
Required Capstone Courses: 6 Credit Hours
Additional Courses: 6-12 Credit Hours
- Art history electives (300-400 level) 4 6 credit hours
- Art and art-related electives 50-6 credit hours
1 This course fulfills the College of Visual and Performing Arts writing-intensive requirement for the major.
2 Courses cannot be double-counted in studio concentration.
3 Credits taken to fulfill the studio concentration must be taken in a single studio area.
4 Excludes ARTH 490 , ARTH 495 and ARTH 499 .
5 Studio art and art-related electives include courses from graphic design, interior design, art education and internships, but excludes courses taken to fulfill the studio concentration.
Recommended Schedule for Majors
- Art history elective (300-400 level) 3.00
- Required 200- and/or 300-level 3D studio art courses 12.00
- ART 305. Seminar in Aesthetics 3.00
- General Education courses 12.00