Jan 28, 2020
2018-19 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Philosophy and Religion, Philosophy Concentration, B.A.
Degree and Major Requirements
- General Education 41 Credit Hours 1
- Foreign Language classes (intermediate level required) 0-14 Credit Hours 2
- Philosophy course (in addition to General Education courses) 3 Credit Hours
- University electives 26-43 Credit Hours
- Major requirements (listed below) 33-36 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 The foreign language requirement may be satisfied by successful completion of the second semester of the intermediate level of the student's chosen language (typically 232) or by placing out of that language through the Department of Foreign Language's placement test.
Concentration Core Courses
Choose one History of Philosophy courses: 3 Credit Hours
Depending on the manner in which they are taught, the following topics classes may be counted toward the history requirement if they are approved by petition to the academic unit head: PHIL 390 , PHIL 391 , PHIL 460 , PHIL 465 , PHIL 470 and PHIL 475 .
Choose one Metaphysics/Epistemology courses: 3 Credit Hours
Depending on the manner in which they are taught, the following topics classes may be counted toward the metaphysics/epistemology requirement if they are approved by petition to the academic unit head: PHIL 390 , PHIL 391 and PHIL 475 .
Philosophy electives (nine credits at the 300 level or above): 15 Credit Hours
If the student takes PHIL 101 as part of Cluster Two in the General Education program it can double count as one course of this elective section. Neither PHIL 120 nor PHIL 150 can be used as an elective.
Recommended Schedule for Majors
The following outline is a sample four-year program. The actual courses and sequence a student takes may vary.
- Introductory courses in major 6 Credit Hours
- B.A. or B.S. Requirements 6-8 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 6-18 Credit Hours 1
- Required courses in major 6 Credit Hours
- B.A. or B.S. Requirements or Electives 6 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 18 Credit Hours
- Requirements and electives in philosophy or religion 12 Credit Hours
- Electives (may be outside of major) 12 Credit Hours
- General Education courses 6 Credit Hours
1 Students should adjust General Education and foreign language load to achieve 30 hours total.