Sep 22, 2018
Bachelor of Arts in Modern Foreign Languages
Students can earn both a B.A. in Modern Foreign Languages and a minor in a specific language. Currently the department provides:
- Four years of instruction in Arabic, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- Three years of instruction Chinese and Japanese.
- Two years of instruction in Ancient Greek, Latin, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Swahili.
The minimum requirement for a major in languages is 33 upper-division credit hours in a specific language.
- General Education 41 Credit Hours 1
- Foreign language classes (intermediate level required) 0-14 Credit Hours 2
- Second Foreign Language (intermediate level required) 0-14 Credit Hours 2
- Philosophy course (in addition to General Education courses) 3 Credit Hours
- University electives 15-43 Credit Hours 3
- Major requirements (listed below) 33 Credit Hours
1 The General Education program contains a set of requirements each student must fulfill. The number of credit hours necessary to fulfill these requirements may vary.
2 The foreign language requirement and the second language requirement may be satisfied by successful completion of the second semester of the intermediate level of the student's chosen language (typically 232) or by placing out of that language through the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures' placement test. The second language is not required of double majors or education minors or of those seeking teaching licensure.
3 The number of university electives varies depending on the number of actual credits earned with the first and second language requirements. These language requirements may be fully or partly satisfied through the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures' placement tests, but these tests do not confer actual credits and subsequently the number of university electives students take will vary.
All language sections share certain core requirements.
- Two language courses (300 and 320 or 321) 6 Credit Hours 1
- Two civilization courses (307 and 308) 6 Credit Hours
- Literature courses in the target language 6-12 Credit Hours
- Other courses as specified by the section 9-15 Credit Hours 2
1 These courses fulfill the College of Arts and Letters writing-intensive requirement for the major.
2 The courses required for Spanish majors are different, as shown in the Spanish listing.
Four More Courses: 12 Credit Hours
(see following list)
(no more than one)
(not available in 2018-2019 academic year)
Students majoring in modern foreign languages must complete the intermediate level of a second language unless they are:
- Completing a second major.
- Completing a teaching licensure or an education minor.
- Completing two degrees.
- Completing a pre-professional health program.
If the student has a previous background in a second language, the second language requirement may also be satisfied by placing out of it through the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures' placement test. However, in this case, the student must proportionally increase the number of university electives as indicated in the B.A. degree requirements.