Dr. Jonathan W. Keller,
Phone: (540) 568-6149
Location: Miller Hall, Room 2120
M. Adams, J. Adolino, C. Blake, A. Broscheid, J. Chen, S. Hammond, D. Jones, J. Keller, H. Lubert, R. Roberts, K. Rutherford, J. Scherpereel, V. Sulfaro
J. Byrne, M. Cohen, K. Ferraiolo, J. Hulsey, M. Jamal, B. Kaussler, T. LaPira, H. Lee, F. Mayhew, L. Peaslee, N. Swartz, A. Teye, Y. Yang
R. Alexander, K. Crawford, K. Grant, J. Taylor, K. Wylie
The Department of Political Science offers strong major and minor programs sharing a focus on public concerns. We are committed to providing our students with the tools and competence to succeed in their lives, their graduate education and their careers by instilling academic rigor, information access and research skills, dedication to life-long learning and respect for diversity in cultures, nations and institutions of democracy.
To carry out the above mission, the Department of Political Science seeks to:
- Offer strong major programs: the B.A. in political science, the B.S. in public policy and administration and the B.A. in international affairs (cross disciplinary).
- Offer strong minor programs: political science, public policy & administration and political communication (cross disciplinary).
- Enhance critical thinking, communication and information gathering skills.
- Foster active learning through research, simulations and internships.
The political science department offers programs that lead students to careers in the following fields:
- Administration and management
- Federal, state and local government
- International organizations
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Private sector
To enhance the marketability of its students, the political science department supports career-related internships. For information contact the political science office, Miller Hall, Room 2120, (540)568-6149 or contact the internship coordinator, Dr. Jennifer Taylor (email@example.com).
Co-curricular Activities and Organizations
- Pi Alpha Alpha: public administration honor society
- Pi Sigma Alpha: political science honor society
- Pre-Law Society
- Sigma Iota Rho: international affairs honor society
- PASO: JMU Public Affairs Student Organization
Majors in the Department of Political Science
The Department of Political Science offers the B. A. degree with a major in political science, the B.S. degree with a major in public policy and administration and the B.A. degree with a major in international affairs.